Chris Bailey - Rulers do not reduce taxes to be kind. Expediency and greed create high taxation, and normally it takes an impending catastrophe to bring it down.
[ Bring Catastrophe Create Down Expediency Greed High Impending Kind Normally Reduce Rulers Takes Taxation Taxes]
Roger Gould - A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.
[ Against Appearance Apprehensive Believing Consider Devotion Easily Gods Hand Him His Illegal Less Move Must Other Pious Put Religion Ruler Side Subjects Treatment Tyrant Uncommon Whom]
Sue Grafton - Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers.
[ Democracy Men Property Rulers]
Gloria Grahame - He who is to be a good ruler must have first been ruled.
[ Been First Good Must Ruled Ruler]
Gordon Moore - I am of the African race, and in the colour which is natural to them of the deepest dye; and it is under a sense of the most profound gratitude to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.
[ African Am Colour Deepest Dye Gratitude Most Natural Profound Race Ruler Sense Supreme Them Under Universe Which]
Alfred E. Smith - Fashion as King is sometimes a very stupid ruler.
[ Fashion King Ruler Sometimes Stupid Very]
Kate D. Wiggins - The object of government in peace and in war is not the glory of rulers or of races, but the happiness of common man.
[ Common Glory Government Happiness Man Object Peace Races Rulers War]
Christa Wolf - History is an account, mostly false, of events, mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
[ Account Brought Events False Fools History Knaves Mostly Rulers Soldiers Unimportant Which]
- It is hard to know how many people do, but given that the people are so docile towards the rulers, nowadays, very few Americans show the passion for freedom that our forefathers had.
[ Americans Docile Few Forefathers Freedom Given Had Hard How Know Many Nowadays Our Passion Rulers Show Towards Very]
- The Federal Government is exploiting public fear to redefine the relationship between the rulers and the American people.
[ American Between Exploiting Fear Federal Government Public Redefine Relationship Rulers]
- The once all-powerful ruler of Iraq was found in a hole, and now sits in a prison cell.
[ All-Powerful Cell Found Hole Iraq Now Once Prison Ruler Sits]
- Rulers who want to unleash war know very well that they must procure or invent a first victim.
[ First Invent Know Must Procure Rulers Unleash Very Victim Want War Well]
- The paranoiac is the exact image of the ruler. The only difference is their position in the world. One might even think the paranoiac the more impressive of the two because he is sufficient unto himself and cannot be shaken by failure.
[ Because Cannot Difference Even Exact Failure Himself Image Impressive Might More Only Position Ruler Shaken Sufficient Their Think Two Unto World]
- In politics a capable ruler must be guided by circumstances, conjectures and conjunctions.
[ Capable Circumstances Conjectures Guided Must Politics Ruler]
- Your real self - the "I am I" - is master of this land, the ruler of this empire. You rightfully have power and dominion over it, all its inhabitants, and all contained in its realm.
[ Am Contained Dominion Empire Inhabitants Land Master Over Power Real Realm Rightfully Ruler Self Your]
- The constitution of the United States is a law for rulers and people, equally in war and in peace, and covers with the shield of its protection all classes of men, at all times, and under all circumstances.
[ Circumstances Classes Constitution Covers Equally Law Men Peace Protection Rulers Shield States Times Under United War]
- Lebanon is restless, Syria got its walking papers, Egypt is scheduling elections with more than one candidate, and even Saudi Arabia, whose rulers are perhaps more terrified of women than rulers anywhere else in the world, allowed limited municipal elections.
[ Allowed Anywhere Arabia Candidate Egypt Elections Else Even Got Lebanon Limited More Municipal Papers Perhaps Restless Rulers Saudi Scheduling Syria Terrified Than Walking Whose Women World]
- The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes.
[ Behind Exercise Invisible Power Real Rulers Scenes Washington]
- You should not do this, Comrade. We are only in the introductory stage yet, here in Western Europe. And in that stage it is better to encourage the fighters than the rulers.
[ Better Comrade Encourage Europe Fighters Here Introductory Only Rulers Should Stage Than Western Yet]
- I have terrible handwriting. I now say it's a learning disability... but a nun who was a very troubled woman hit me over the fingers with a ruler because my writing was so bad.
[ Bad Because Disability Fingers Handwriting Hit Learning Now Nun Over Ruler Say Terrible Troubled Very Woman Writing]
- A ruler isn't always straight.
[ Always Ruler Straight]
- The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.
[ Concealed Ever Liberties May Never Nor Rulers Secure Their Them Transactions Were Will]
- Romanists tell us that the Pope is the vicar of Christ; that he is his successor as the universal head and ruler of the Church on earth. If this is so, he must be a Christ.
[ Christ Church Earth Head His Must Pope Ruler Successor Tell Universal Us Vicar]
- Just carrying a ruler with you in your pocket should be forbidden, at least on a moral basis. The ruler is the symbol of the new illiteracy. The ruler is the symptom of the new disease, disintegration of our civilisation.
[ Basis Carrying Civilisation Disease Disintegration Forbidden Illiteracy Just Least Moral New Our Pocket Ruler Should Symbol Symptom Your]
- Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire cat.
[ Beginning Cat Cosmic Fading God Last Resemble Ruler Smile]
- Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.
[ Alone Degenerates Every Government Only Rulers Safe Themselves Trusted]
- The Jewish nation is indeed, the heart of the world and there is no reason for the existence of empires, kings, rulers, masses or systems aside from their reaction to the Jewish people.
[ Aside Empires Existence Heart Indeed Jewish Kings Masses Nation Reaction Reason Rulers Systems Their World]
- The only safe ruler is he who has learned to obey willingly.
[ Learned Obey Only Ruler Safe Willingly]
- Support by United States rulers is rather in the nature of the support that the rope gives to a hanged man.
[ Gives Hanged Man Nature Rather Rope Rulers States Support United]
- Men at a distance, who have admired our systems of government unfounded in nature, are apt to accuse the rulers, and say that taxes have been assessed too high and collected too rigidly.
[ Accuse Admired Apt Assessed Been Collected Distance Government High Men Nature Our Rigidly Rulers Say Systems Taxes Too Unfounded]
- If a psychiatric and scientific inquiry were to be made upon our rulers, mankind would be appalled at the disclosures.
[ Appalled Disclosures Inquiry Made Mankind Our Psychiatric Rulers Scientific Upon Were Would]
- Circumstances are the rulers of the weak; they are but the instruments of the wise.
[ Circumstances Instruments Rulers Weak Wise]
- A wise ruler ought never to keep faith when by doing so it would be against his interests.
[ Against Doing Faith His Interests Keep Never Ought Ruler Wise Would]
- The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.
[ Around First Him Intelligence Look Men Method Ruler]
- The new ruler must determine all the injuries that he will need to inflict. He must inflict them once and for all.
[ Determine Inflict Injuries Must Need New Once Ruler Them Will]
- Dictators are rulers who always look good until the last ten minutes.
[ Always Dictators Good Last Look Minutes Rulers Ten Until]
- All civil rulers, as such, are the ordinance and ministers of God; and they are all, by the nature of their office, and in their respective spheres and stations, bound to consult the public welfare.
[ Bound Civil Consult God Ministers Nature Office Ordinance Public Respective Rulers Spheres Stations Such Their Welfare]
- I now add, farther, that the apostle's argument is so far from proving it to be the duty of people to obey, and submit to, such rulers as act in contradiction to the public good, and so to the design of their office, that it proves the direct contrary.
[ Act Add Apostle Argument Contradiction Contrary Design Direct Duty Far Farther Good Now Obey Office Proves Proving Public Rulers Submit Such Their]
- Conscious of my own weakness, I can only seek fervently the guidance of the Ruler of the Universe, and, relying on His all-powerful aid, do my best to restore Union and peace to a suffering people, and to establish and guard their liberties and rights.
[ Aid All-Powerful Best Conscious Establish Fervently Guard Guidance His Liberties Only Own Peace Relying Restore Rights Ruler Seek Suffering Their Union Universe Weakness]
- The mere holding of slaves, therefore, is a condition having per se nothing of moral character in it, any more than the being a parent, or employer, or ruler.
[ Any Being Character Condition Employer Having Holding Mere Moral More Nothing Parent Per Ruler Se Slaves Than Therefore]
- Some wars have been due to the lust of rulers for power and glory, or to revenge to wipe out the humiliation of a former defeat.
[ Been Defeat Due Former Glory Humiliation Lust Out Power Revenge Rulers Some Wars Wipe]
- Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?
[ Anything Because Him His Kill Lives Man Mine Other Quarrel Right River Ruler Side Stupider Than Though]
- It has too often been too easy for rulers and governments to incite man to war.
[ Been Easy Governments Incite Man Often Rulers Too War]
- The rulers of the state are the only persons who ought to have the privilege of lying, either at home or abroad; they may be allowed to lie for the good of the state.
[ Abroad Allowed Either Good Home Lie Lying May Only Ought Persons Privilege Rulers State]
- There will be no end to the troubles of states, or of humanity itself, till philosophers become kings in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands.
[ Become Call Come End Hands Humanity Into Itself Kings Now Philosophers Philosophy Political Power Really Rulers Same States Those Thus Till Troubles Truly Will World]
- It becomes us in humility to make our devout acknowledgments to the Supreme Ruler of the Universe for the inestimable civil and religious blessings with which we are favored.
[ Becomes Blessings Civil Devout Favored Humility Inestimable Make Our Religious Ruler Supreme Universe Us Which]
- No Arab ruler will consider the peace process seriously so long as he is able to toy with the idea of achieving more by the way of violence.
[ Able Achieving Arab Consider Idea Long More Peace Process Ruler Seriously Toy Violence Way Will]
- Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country.
[ Alien Congressmen Country Democracy Forget Government Never Officials Our Ourselves Over Power President Rulers Senators Ultimate Us Voters]
- In the Middle Ages and beyond, the target was the Court Jew who had the ear of the ruler; during the Inquisition it was the Spanish Jews who thrived after their conversion to Christianity.
[ After Ages Beyond Christianity Conversion Court During Ear Had Inquisition Jew Jews Middle Ruler Spanish Target Their Thrived]
- Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
[ Common False Regarded Religion Rulers True Useful Wise]
- As citizens of this democracy, you are the rulers and the ruled, the law-givers and the law-abiding, the beginning and the end.
[ Beginning Citizens Democracy End Law-Abiding Ruled Rulers]
- It is only the enlightened ruler and the wise general who will use the highest intelligence of the army for the purposes of spying, and thereby they achieve great results.
[ Achieve Army Enlightened General Great Highest Intelligence Only Purposes Results Ruler Spying Thereby Use Will Wise]
- The enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution.
[ Caution Enlightened Full General Good Ruler]
- You must welcome change as the rule but not as your ruler.
[ Change Must Rule Ruler Welcome Your]
- Oh while I live, to be the ruler of life, not a slave, to meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me.
[ Command Conqueror Ever Exterior Life Live Meet Nothing Oh Powerful Ruler Slave Take While Will]