Anna Letitia Barbauld - The American President resembles the commander of a ship at sea. He must have a helm to grasp, a course to steer, a port to seek.
[ American Commander Course Grasp Helm Must Port President Resembles Sea Seek Ship Steer]
- All good music resembles something. Good music stirs by its mysterious resemblance to the objects and feelings which motivated it.
[ Feelings Good Motivated Music Mysterious Objects Resemblance Resembles Something Stirs Which]
- In thus pointing out certain respects in which philosophy resembles literature more than science, I do not mean, of course, to imply that it would be well for philosophy if it ceased to aim at scientific rigor.
[ Aim Ceased Certain Course Imply Literature Mean More Out Philosophy Pointing Resembles Respects Rigor Science Scientific Than Thus Well Which Would]
- The enemy resembles us. Therefore, he needs to be approached not as an assembly of 'targets' to be destroyed one by one; but as a living, intelligent entity capable of acting and reacting.
[ Acting Approached Assembly Capable Destroyed Enemy Entity Intelligent Living Needs Reacting Resembles Targets Therefore Us]
- Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people.
[ Among Death His Honor Land Most Own Poet Prophet Resembles Stranger Without]
- The first time I read an excellent work, it is to me just as if I gained a new friend; and when I read over a book I have perused before, it resembles the meeting of an old one.
[ Before Book Excellent First Friend Gained Just Meeting New Old Over Read Resembles Time Work]
- He that can live alone resembles the brute beast in nothing, the sage in much, and God in everything.
[ Alone Beast Brute Everything God Live Much Nothing Resembles Sage]
- Genius unrefined resembles a flash of lightning, but wisdom is like the sun.
[ Flash Genius Lightning Resembles Sun Wisdom]
- All the new thinking is about loss, In this it resembles all the old thinking.
[ Loss New Old Resembles Thinking]
- Europe is so well gardened that it resembles a work of art, a scientific theory, a neat metaphysical system. Man has re-created Europe in his own image.
[ Art Europe His Image Man Metaphysical Neat Own Resembles Scientific System Theory Well Work]
- What takes place in the Security Council more closely resembles a mugging than either a political debate or an effort at problem-solving.
[ Closely Council Debate Effort Either More Place Political Problem-Solving Resembles Security Takes Than]
- The moon of a bright silver, which dazzles by its shining, illumines a world which surely is no longer ours; for it resembles in nothing what may be seen in other lands.
[ Bright Lands Longer May Moon Nothing Other Ours Resembles Seen Shining Silver Surely Which World]
- Only thought can resemble. It resembles by being what it sees, hears, or knows; it becomes what the world offers it.
[ Becomes Being Hears Knows Offers Only Resemble Resembles Sees Thought World]
- Every beauty which is seen here by persons of perception resembles more than anything else that celestial source from which we all are come.
[ Anything Beauty Celestial Come Else Every Here More Perception Persons Resembles Seen Source Than Which]
- If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.
[ Because Friendship Good Love Marriage Rather Resembles Such Than Thing]
- Art has two constant, two unending concerns: It always meditates on death and thus always creates life. All great, genuine art resembles and continues the Revelation of St John.
[ Always Art Concerns Constant Continues Creates Death Genuine Great John Life Meditates Resembles Revelation St Thus Two Unending]
- My title is intended to suggest that the community of scientists is organized in a way which resembles certain features of a body politic and works according to economic principles similar to those by which the production of material goods is regulated.
[ According Body Certain Community Economic Features Goods Intended Material Organized Politic Principles Production Regulated Resembles Scientists Similar Suggest Those Title Way Which Works]
- Piecemeal social engineering resembles physical engineering in regarding the ends as beyond the province of technology.
[ Beyond Ends Engineering Physical Piecemeal Province Regarding Resembles Social Technology]
- Life resembles a novel more often than novels resemble life.
[ Life More Novel Novels Often Resemble Resembles Than]
- The world resembles a stage on which every man is playing a part.
[ Every Man Part Playing Resembles Stage Which World]
- For the duration of its collective life, or the time during which its identity may be assumed, each class resembles a hotel or an omnibus, always full, but always of different people.
[ Always Assumed Class Collective Different Duration During Each Full Hotel Identity Life May Resembles Time Which]
- The noise resembles the roar of heavy, distant surf. Standing on the stirring ice one can imagine it is disturbed by the breathing and tossing of a mighty giant below.
[ Below Breathing Distant Disturbed Giant Heavy Ice Imagine Mighty Noise Resembles Roar Standing Stirring Surf Tossing]
- It resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they cannot be separated, often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them.
[ Always Anyone Between Cannot Comes Directions Joined Moving Often Opposite Pair Punishing Resembles Separated Shears Them Yet]
- Marriage resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they cannot be separated; often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them.
[ Always Anyone Between Cannot Comes Directions Joined Marriage Moving Often Opposite Pair Punishing Resembles Separated Shears Them Yet]
- Award trophies, as opposed to letting the players define and claim their own. Ultimately, pay them to play so that their activity not only resembles work but is work.
[ Activity Award Claim Define Letting Only Opposed Own Pay Play Players Resembles Their Them Trophies Ultimately Work]
- This self-love is the instrument of our preservation; it resembles the provision for the perpetuity of mankind: it is necessary, it is dear to us, it gives us pleasure, and we must conceal it.
[ Conceal Dear Gives Instrument Mankind Must Necessary Our Perpetuity Pleasure Preservation Provision Resembles Self-Love Us]
- On a planet that increasingly resembles one huge Maximum Security prison, the only intelligent choice is to plan a jail break.
[ Break Choice Huge Increasingly Intelligent Jail Maximum Only Plan Planet Prison Resembles Security]