- In the immediate postwar years, the whole of Europe was in a recession. So first of all, it helped us step out of a recession; it gave a certain amount of speed to the economy. But that was the first step.
[ Amount Certain Economy Europe First Gave Helped Immediate Out Postwar Recession Speed Step Us Whole Years]
- I think the day you start building the war plan is the day you start beginning the postwar plan.
[ Beginning Building Day Plan Postwar Start Think War]
- The Russians obtained a number of plants under Lend-Lease, which had been authorized by Washington, that I thought were not justified for their war effort. They wanted them for postwar use.
[ Authorized Been Effort Had Justified Number Obtained Plants Postwar Russians Their Them Thought Under Use Wanted War Washington Were Which]
- We discussed the history of postwar Japan and how Japan had missed an opportunity to build a more functional democracy because of the focus on fighting communism driven in large part by the American occupation.
[ American Because Build Communism Democracy Discussed Driven Fighting Focus Functional Had History How Japan Large Missed More Occupation Opportunity Part Postwar]
- Three big assumptions proved wrong: one, that the Iraqi people would welcome us as liberators; two, that oil would soon pay for Iraqi's rebuilding; and, three, that we have plenty of troops, weapons, and equipment for the postwar situation.
[ Assumptions Big Equipment Iraqi Liberators Oil Pay Plenty Postwar Proved Rebuilding Situation Soon Three Troops Two Us Weapons Welcome Would Wrong]
- If one seeks to analyze experiences and reactions to the first postwar years, I hope one may say without being accused of bias that it is easier for the victor than for the vanquished to advocate peace.
[ Accused Advocate Analyze Being Bias Easier Experiences First Hope May Peace Postwar Reactions Say Seeks Than Vanquished Victor Without Years]
- The estimated loss of up to six million dead is founded too much on both emotional, biased testimonies and on exaggerated data in the postwar reckonings of war crimes and on the squaring of accounts with the defeated.
[ Accounts Biased Both Crimes Data Dead Defeated Emotional Estimated Exaggerated Founded Loss Million Much Postwar Six Testimonies Too Up War]
- The European brand of fascism will probably present its most serious postwar threat to us via Latin America.
[ America Brand European Fascism Latin Most Postwar Present Probably Serious Threat Us Via Will]