Kublai Khan - Pianists don't argue too much generally because we have such a hard time just getting things right; arguing is for string players.
[ Argue Arguing Because Generally Getting Hard Just Much Pianists Players Right String Such Things Time Too]
- It is my fervent wish and my greatest ambition to leave a work with a few useful instructions for the pianists after me.
[ After Ambition Fervent Few Greatest Instructions Leave Pianists Useful Wish Work]
- Well, no. I believe that it's not at all impossible that some of the performances that I've heard so far by some pianists may be superior to my own playing because those are two totally different acts altogether.
[ Acts Altogether Because Believe Different Far Heard Impossible May Own Performances Pianists Playing Some Superior Those Totally Two Well]
- Too many jazz pianists limit themselves to a personal style, a trademark, so to speak. They confine themselves to one type of playing.
[ Confine Jazz Limit Many Personal Pianists Playing Speak Style Themselves Too Trademark Type]
- Pianists call me a composer, composers call me a pianist. The classicists think me a futurist, and the futurists call me a reactionary.
[ Call Composer Composers Pianist Pianists Reactionary Think]
- I don't think I handle the notes much differently from other pianists. But the pauses between the notes - ah, there is where the artistry lies!!
[ Ah Artistry Between Differently Handle Lies Much Notes Other Pauses Pianists Think Where]
- The notes I handle no better than many pianists. But the pauses between the notes ah, that is where the art resides.
[ Ah Art Better Between Handle Many Notes Pauses Pianists Resides Than Where]
- When I was studying... there weren't any black concert pianists. My choices were intuitive, and I had the technique to do it. People have heard my music and heard the classic in it, so I have become known as a black classical pianist.
[ Any Become Black Choices Classic Classical Concert Had Heard Intuitive Known Music Pianist Pianists Studying Technique Were Weren]
- You hear the same work by different orchestras, different conductors, violinists, pianists, singers, and slowly, the work reveals itself and begins to live deeper in you.
[ Begins Conductors Deeper Different Hear Itself Live Orchestras Pianists Reveals Same Singers Slowly Work]