David Talbot - I have done things politically, and I've been running a business at the same time, but I sort of joke that to some extent I do more than most legislators have done in their whole careers, and I've been doing it as a part-time job.
[ Been Business Careers Doing Done Extent Job Joke Legislators More Most Part-Time Politically Running Same Some Sort Than Their Things Time Whole]
- This source of corruption, alas, is inherent in the democratic system itself, and it can only be controlled, if at all, by finding ways to encourage legislators to subordinate ambition to principle.
[ Alas Ambition Controlled Corruption Democratic Encourage Finding Inherent Itself Legislators Only Principle Source Subordinate System Ways]
- When the leaders choose to make themselves bidders at an auction of popularity, their talents, in the construction of the state, will be of no service. They will become flatterers instead of legislators; the instruments, not the guides, of the people.
[ Auction Become Choose Construction Flatterers Guides Instead Instruments Leaders Legislators Make Popularity Service State Talents Their Themselves Will]
- Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact.
[ After Architects Artists Change Fact Implement Legislators Mind Political Real]
- As attorney general, I can either look into it or I can ignore it because they're a bunch of powerful legislators... and I'm afraid they're going to cut my budget.
[ Afraid Attorney Because Budget Bunch Cut Either General Going Ignore Into Legislators Look Powerful]
- I've been not only articulating the dissatisfaction with Albany, I've been acting on it. I've been very aggressive in bringing public integrity cases and public corruption cases and bringing cases against sitting legislators.
[ Acting Against Aggressive Albany Been Bringing Cases Corruption Dissatisfaction Integrity Legislators Only Public Sitting Very]
- We're going to march on Washington with a host of Republicans, Democrats, business leaders, legislators.
[ Business Democrats Going Host Leaders Legislators March Republicans Washington]
- What is the harm of doing the right thing? What is the harm of doing our job as legislators and making sure we do not stick the entire bankruptcy community with these provisions that do not make any sense?
[ Any Bankruptcy Community Doing Entire Harm Job Legislators Make Making Our Provisions Right Sense Stick Sure These Thing]
- And, in the past, it has been all too easy for legislators to load costs onto business in order to meet broader social goals. And costs for business means costs for consumers.
[ Been Broader Business Consumers Costs Easy Goals Legislators Load Means Meet Onto Order Past Social Too]
- We asserted ourselves as a music community, and showed legislators that music is positive. Especially if you've sold 300 million records worldwide and pay taxes.
[ Asserted Community Especially Legislators Million Music Ourselves Pay Positive Records Showed Sold Taxes Worldwide]
- When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
[ Bought Buying Controlled First Legislation Legislators Selling Sold Things]
- The acknowledged legislators of the world take the world as given. They dislike mysteries, for mysteries cannot be coded, or legislated, and wonder cannot be made into law. And so these legislators police the accepted frontiers of things.
[ Accepted Acknowledged Cannot Coded Dislike Frontiers Given Into Law Legislators Made Mysteries Police Take These Things Wonder World]
- Ideally citizens are to think of themselves as if they were legislators and ask themselves what statutes, supported by what reasons satisfying the criterion of reciprocity, they would think is most reasonable to enact.
[ Ask Citizens Criterion Enact Ideally Legislators Most Reasonable Reasons Satisfying Statutes Supported Themselves Think Were Would]
- People underestimate the impact they can have on the process through contact with legislators. By being part of an organized group in an area that you have an interest in, you can multiply the impact of your own ideas.
[ Area Being Contact Group Ideas Impact Interest Legislators Multiply Organized Own Part Process Through Underestimate Your]
- But do not understand me as saying, or for one moment suggesting, that women legislators should confine themselves to doing only social service work. Not at all.
[ Confine Doing Legislators Moment Only Saying Service Should Social Suggesting Themselves Understand Women Work]
- It's not about the money. This is about Terri. It's not about the Schindlers, it's not about the legislators, it's not about me, it's about what Terri Schiavo wanted.
[ Legislators Money Schiavo Terri Wanted]
- Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
[ Legislators Poets World]
- The important thing to understand about legislators is that there are dozens of competing interests and issues that occupy them. They are stretched thin.
[ Competing Dozens Important Interests Issues Legislators Occupy Stretched Them Thin Thing Understand]
- Let us tell our legislators in advance, that this is a right, restraints on which, we will not, cannot bear; and that every attempt to restrain it is a palpable wrong on God and man.
[ Advance Attempt Bear Cannot Every God Legislators Man Our Palpable Restrain Restraints Right Tell Us Which Will Wrong]
- We live in a stage of politics, where legislators seem to regard the passage of laws as much more important than the results of their enforcement.
[ Enforcement Important Laws Legislators Live More Much Passage Politics Regard Results Seem Stage Than Their Where]
- I believe Congress has a duty to do so as well; not simply as a body of legislators, but more importantly as a community of friends, neighbors, parents and Americans.
[ Americans Believe Body Community Congress Duty Friends Importantly Legislators More Neighbors Parents Simply Well]
- It has now become a very common sentiment, that there is some deep and radical wrong somewhere, and that legislators have proved themselves incapable of discovering, or, of remedying it.
[ Become Common Deep Discovering Incapable Legislators Now Proved Radical Sentiment Some Somewhere Themselves Very Wrong]
- Those who have heard or read anything from me on the subject, know that one of the principal points insisted on is, the forming of societies or any other artificial combinations IS the first, greatest, and most fatal mistake ever committed by legislators and by reformers.
[ Any Anything Artificial Combinations Committed Ever Fatal First Forming Greatest Heard Insisted Know Legislators Mistake Most Other Points Principal Read Reformers Societies Subject Those]