Lyman Beecher - Mirth is like a flash of lightning, that breaks through a gloom of clouds, and glitters for a moment; cheerfulness keeps up a kind of daylight in the mind, and fills it with a steady and perpetual serenity.
[ Breaks Cheerfulness Clouds Daylight Fills Flash Gloom Keeps Kind Lightning Mind Mirth Moment Perpetual Serenity Steady Through Up]
Shalom Harlow - Spare me the whispering, crowded room, the friends who come and gape and go, the ceremonious air of gloom - all, which makes death a hideous show.
[ Air Come Crowded Death Friends Gloom Go Hideous Makes Room Show Spare Which Whispering]
Geoff Hoon - It is not fitting, when one is in God's service, to have a gloomy face or a chilling look.
[ Chilling Face Fitting Gloomy God Look Service]
Israel Zangwill - My brother was a great favorite with everybody, and his death cast a gloom upon the whole neighborhood.
[ Brother Cast Death Everybody Favorite Gloom Great His Neighborhood Upon Whole]
- One day I undertook a tour through the country, and the diversity and beauties of nature I met with in this charming season, expelled every gloomy and vexatious thought.
[ Beauties Charming Country Day Diversity Every Expelled Gloomy Met Nature Season Thought Through Tour Undertook]
- I don't think Hamlet is mad, nor is he predisposed to be a gloomy or tragic figure.
[ Figure Gloomy Hamlet Mad Nor Predisposed Think Tragic]
- I think you know what you're up against when you take on a piece that you know is going to involve dragging up a lot emotions - you can end up being deeply immersed in gloom.
[ Against Being Deeply Dragging Emotions End Gloom Going Immersed Involve Know Lot Piece Take Think Up]
- You find yourself refreshed in the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy.
[ Allow Anything Battle Cheerful Confer Effort Find Gained Gloomy Half Honest Make Never Others Pleasure Presence Refreshed Say Why Yourself]
- If a man be gloomy let him keep to himself. No one has the right to go croaking about society, or what is worse, looking as if he stifled grief.
[ Gloomy Go Grief Him Himself Keep Looking Man Right Society Stifled Worse]
- The human mind can bear plenty of reality but not too much intermittent gloom.
[ Bear Gloom Human Mind Much Plenty Reality Too]
- The person you consider ignorant and insignificant is the one who came from God, that he might learn bliss from grief and knowledge from gloom.
[ Bliss Came Consider Gloom God Grief Ignorant Insignificant Knowledge Learn Might Person]
- The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.
[ Adversity Always Better Cherish Dark Enjoy Friend Gloom Helped Hours Most Prosperity Ready Relieve Shall Sunshine Than Those Trust]
- Our gloomy Presbyterian ideas encourage fear of God, not love for him.
[ Encourage Fear Gloomy God Him Ideas Love Our Presbyterian]
- Criticism and pessimism destroy families, undermine institutions of all kinds, defeat nearly everyone, and spread a shroud of gloom over entire nations.
[ Criticism Defeat Destroy Entire Everyone Families Gloom Institutions Kinds Nations Nearly Over Pessimism Shroud Spread Undermine]
- Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind.
[ Abhorrent Bodily Body Decay Gloomy Human Mind Most Prospect Without]
- My theory has always been, that if we are to dream, the flatteries of hope are as cheap, and pleasanter, than the gloom of despair.
[ Always Been Cheap Despair Dream Gloom Hope Pleasanter Than Theory]
- It is so often true that whether a person carries with him an atmosphere of gloom and depression or one of confidence and courage depends on his individual outlook.
[ Atmosphere Carries Confidence Courage Depends Depression Gloom Him His Individual Often Outlook Person True Whether]
- Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution. No refuge could save the hireling and slave from the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave.
[ Blood Could Flight Footsteps Foul Gloom Grave Out Pollution Refuge Save Slave Terror Their Washed]
- The Helicon of too many poets is not a hill crowned with sunshine and visited by the Muses and the Graces, but an old, mouldering house, full of gloom and haunted by ghosts.
[ Crowned Full Ghosts Gloom Graces Haunted Hill House Many Muses Old Poets Sunshine Too Visited]
- Remember that happiness is as contagious as gloom. It should be the first duty of those who are happy to let others know of their gladness.
[ Contagious Duty First Gladness Gloom Happiness Happy Know Others Remember Should Their Those]
- A lost but happy dream may shed its light upon our waking hours, and the whole day may be infected with the gloom of a dreary or sorrowful one; yet of neither may we be able to recover a trace.
[ Able Day Dream Dreary Gloom Happy Hours Infected Light Lost May Neither Our Recover Shed Sorrowful Trace Upon Waking Whole Yet]
- In the streets through which we passed, I must own the houses in general struck me as if they were dark and gloomy, and yet at the same time they also struck me as prodigiously great and majestic.
[ Also Dark General Gloomy Great Houses Majestic Must Own Passed Same Streets Struck Through Time Were Which Yet]
- On a very gloomy dismal day, just such a one as it ought to be, I went to see Westminster Abbey.
[ Abbey Day Dismal Gloomy Just Ought See Such Very Went Westminster]
- The hallway of every man's life is paced with pictures; pictures gay and pictures gloomy, all useful, for if we be wise, we can learn from them a richer and braver way to live.
[ Braver Every Gay Gloomy Hallway Learn Life Live Man Paced Pictures Richer Them Useful Way Wise]
- There are some great questions to ask your doctor. If he says 'no,' then you find yourself a different doctor. There really has to be a change in how we medically look at women at this time. I mean, this is not just baby gloom.
[ Ask Baby Change Different Doctor Find Gloom Great How Just Look Mean Medically Questions Really Says Some Then Time Women Your Yourself]
- Those who have no hope pass their old age shrouded with an inward gloom.
[ Age Gloom Hope Inward Old Pass Shrouded Their Those]
- Rosiness is not a worse windowpane than gloomy gray when viewing the world.
[ Gloomy Gray Than Viewing Windowpane World Worse]
- Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life.
[ Gloomy Life Moonlight Music Night]
- Not all is doom and gloom. We are beginning to understand the natural world and are gaining a reverence for life - all life.
[ Beginning Doom Gaining Gloom Life Natural Reverence Understand World]
- Gloom and solemnity are entirely out of place in even the most rigorous study of an art originally intended to make glad the heart of man.
[ Art Entirely Even Glad Gloom Heart Intended Make Man Most Originally Out Place Rigorous Solemnity Study]
- Hell, covering all with its gloomy vapors, has cast shadows on even the holiest eyes.
[ Cast Covering Even Eyes Gloomy Hell Holiest Shadows]
- People ask me to smile for the camera, but somehow it always comes out gloomy.
[ Always Ask Camera Comes Gloomy Out Smile Somehow]
- I have always been fascinated by dark and mysterious stuff. I guess I have a pretty dark and gloomy side. Writing songs saves me from going completely gonzo.
[ Always Been Completely Dark Fascinated Gloomy Going Guess Mysterious Pretty Saves Side Songs Stuff Writing]
- A gloomy guest fits not a wedding feast.
[ Feast Fits Gloomy Guest Wedding]
- The good news, to relieve all this gloom, is that a democracy is inherently self-correcting. Here, the people are sovereign. Inept political leaders can be replaced. Foolish policies can be changed. Disastrous mistakes can be reversed.
[ Changed Democracy Disastrous Foolish Gloom Good Here Inept Inherently Leaders Mistakes News Policies Political Relieve Replaced Reversed Sovereign]
- And so we remained till the red of the dawn began to fall through the snow gloom. I was desolate and afraid, and full of woe and terror. But when that beautiful sun began to climb the horizon life was to me again.
[ Afraid Again Beautiful Began Climb Dawn Desolate Fall Full Gloom Horizon Life Red Remained Snow Sun Terror Through Till Woe]
- From the solemn gloom of the temple children run out to sit in the dust, God watches them play and forgets the priest.
[ Children Dust Forgets Gloom God Out Play Priest Run Sit Solemn Temple Them Watches]
- I find it hard to take rock groups very seriously or treat them with respect. There is something absurd about these gloomy young men getting together and banging away.
[ Absurd Away Banging Find Getting Gloomy Groups Hard Men Respect Rock Seriously Something Take Them These Together Treat Very Young]