Thomas B. Macaulay - Privatization came on slowly. When something very big happens, like privatization, historians and economists like to think you must have had very big causes. That is not how it happened.
[ Big Came Causes Economists Had Happened Happens Historians How Must Privatization Slowly Something Think Very]
- Well, you have the public not wanting any new spending, you have the Republicans not wanting any new taxes, you have the Democrats not wanting any new spending cuts, you have the markets not wanting any new borrowing, and you have the economists wanting all of the above. And that leads to paralysis.
[ Above Any Borrowing Cuts Democrats Economists Leads Markets New Paralysis Public Republicans Spending Taxes Wanting Well]
- But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished forever.
[ Age Calculators Chivalry Economists Europe Extinguished Forever Glory Gone Succeeded]
- Unlimited economic growth has the marvelous quality of stilling discontent while maintaining privilege, a fact that has not gone unnoticed among liberal economists.
[ Among Discontent Economic Economists Fact Gone Growth Liberal Maintaining Marvelous Privilege Quality Unlimited Unnoticed While]
- When you poll all of the economists, uh, across America that I think are intellectually honest they would all, or maybe not all, but 95% of them 96% of them would say you know we really have got a powerful economy.
[ Across America Economists Economy Got Honest Intellectually Know Maybe Poll Powerful Really Say Them Think Uh Would]
- Although economists have studied the sensitivity of import and export volumes to changes in the exchange rate, there is still much uncertainty about just how much the dollar must change to bring about any given reduction in our trade deficit.
[ Although Any Bring Change Changes Deficit Dollar Economists Exchange Export Given How Import Just Much Must Our Rate Reduction Sensitivity Still Studied Trade Uncertainty Volumes]
- Thirty years ago, many economists argued that inflation was a kind of minor inconvenience and that the cost of reducing inflation was too high a price to pay. No one would make those arguments today.
[ Ago Argued Arguments Cost Economists High Inconvenience Inflation Kind Make Many Minor Pay Price Reducing Thirty Those Today Too Would Years]
- Ask five economists and you'll get five different answers - six if one went to Harvard.
[ Answers Ask Different Economists Five Get Harvard Six Went]
- The Communists were interested in getting into key positions as union officers, statisticians, economists, etc., in order to utilize the apparatus of the unions to promote the cause of revolution.
[ Apparatus Cause Communists Economists Etc Getting Interested Into Key Officers Order Positions Promote Revolution Statisticians Union Unions Utilize Were]
- Health economists have estimated that an injection of $250 million per year in Indigenous clinical care, and $50 million in preventative care, is required to provide services at the same level as for any other group with the health conditions of Indigenous Australians.
[ Any Australians Care Clinical Conditions Economists Estimated Group Health Indigenous Level Million Other Per Preventative Provide Required Same Services Year]
- Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.
[ Economics Economists Employment Extremely Form Useful]
- But if, if you take a look at what would have happened, I mean, do we need to see soup lines down the street to figure out what would have happened? We avoided - and all economists will tell you that millions of jobs were saved because of the Recovery Act, and we avoided a second Great Depression. That, that is a reality.
[ Act Avoided Because Depression Down Economists Figure Great Happened Jobs Lines Look Mean Millions Need Out Reality Recovery Saved Second See Soup Street Take Tell Were Will Would]
- I may be only a fish and chip shop lady, but some of these economists need to get their heads out of the textbooks and get a job in the real world. I would not even let one of them handle my grocery shopping.
[ Chip Economists Even Fish Get Grocery Handle Heads Job Lady May Need Only Out Real Shop Shopping Some Textbooks Their Them These World Would]
- With more than 67 percent of the Nation's freight moving on highways, economists believe that our ability to compete internationally is tied to the quality of our infrastructure.
[ Ability Believe Compete Economists Freight Highways Infrastructure Internationally More Moving Nation Our Percent Quality Than Tied]
- I have arrived at the conviction that the neglect by economists to discuss seriously what is really the crucial problem of our time is due to a certain timidity about soiling their hands by going from purely scientific questions into value questions.
[ Arrived Certain Conviction Crucial Discuss Due Economists Going Hands Into Neglect Our Problem Purely Questions Really Scientific Seriously Their Time Timidity Value]
- If economists could manage to get themselves thought of as humble, competent people on a level with dentists, that would be splendid.
[ Competent Could Economists Get Humble Level Manage Splendid Themselves Thought Would]
- If all the economists in the world were laid end to end, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
[ Bad Economists End Laid Thing Were World]
- I can't speak for them, of course, but I believe that most economists would accept the view that, while you sometimes can make a score by sheer luck, you can't do it constantly, unless you're willing to put the resources in.
[ Accept Believe Constantly Course Economists Luck Make Most Put Resources Score Sheer Sometimes Speak Them Unless View While Willing Would]
- When better business decisions are made, economists won't make them.
[ Better Business Decisions Economists Made Make Them Won]
- I don't want to get into the 'who's a hostage-taker' discussion here, but what is the estate tax? It's a double tax on death. Economists will tell you that it's really not a tax that soaks the rich, but it's a tax on capital that deprives business investment and therefore job creation.
[ Business Capital Creation Death Deprives Discussion Double Economists Estate Get Here Into Investment Job Really Rich Tax Tell Therefore Want Will]
- With respect to the first of these obstacles, it has often been made a matter of grave complaint against Political Economists, that they confine their attention to Wealth, and disregard all consideration of Happiness or Virtue.
[ Against Attention Been Complaint Confine Consideration Disregard Economists First Grave Happiness Made Matter Obstacles Often Political Respect Their These Virtue Wealth]
- I believe that economists put decimal points in their forecasts to show they have a sense of humor.
[ Believe Decimal Economists Forecasts Humor Points Put Sense Show Their]
- That subject has lost its one time appeal to economists as our science has become more abstract, but my interest has even grown more intense as the questions raised by the sociology of science became more prominent.
[ Abstract Appeal Became Become Economists Even Grown Intense Interest Lost More Our Prominent Questions Raised Science Sociology Subject Time]
- Economists often like startling theorems, results which seem to run counter to conventional wisdom.
[ Conventional Counter Economists Often Results Run Seem Startling Theorems Which Wisdom]
- There must have been something in the air of Gary that led one into economics: the first Nobel Prize winner, Paul Samuelson, was also from Gary, as were several other distinguished economists.
[ Air Also Been Distinguished Economics Economists First Gary Into Led Must Nobel Other Paul Prize Several Something Were Winner]
- You and I come by road or rail, but economists travel on infrastructure.
[ Come Economists Infrastructure Rail Road Travel]
- Economists report that a college education adds many thousands of dollars to a man's lifetime income - which he then spends sending his son to college.
[ Adds College Dollars Economists Education His Income Lifetime Man Many Report Sending Son Spends Then Thousands Which]
- Economists are coming to acknowledge that measures of national wealth and poverty in terms strictly of average income tell you little that is significant of the health or viability of a society.
[ Acknowledge Average Coming Economists Health Income Little Measures National Poverty Significant Society Strictly Tell Terms Viability Wealth]