- It is by doubting that we come to investigate, and by investigating that we recognize the truth.
[ Come Doubting Investigate Investigating Recognize Truth]
- The key to wisdom is this - constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth.
[ Arrive Constant Doubting Frequent Key Led Question Questioning Truth Wisdom]
- There was a castle called Doubting Castle, the owner whereof was Giant Despair.
[ Called Castle Despair Doubting Giant Owner Whereof]
- If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom.
[ Am Certainty Doubting Envy Fool His Least Wisdom]
- The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants, sure of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting anything.
[ Anything Doubting Made Morons Most Natural Never Opinions Own Part Strong Sure Their Themselves Tyrants Up World]
- There is a lot of rubbish written about toilet humour - people saying it is childish and pretending it is beneath them - but there is no doubting the effectiveness of a really good willy gag.
[ Beneath Childish Doubting Effectiveness Gag Good Humour Lot Pretending Really Rubbish Saying Them Toilet Written]
- At my public school I had hated every other face for fear the owner was a lord, at university, I was to court the rich while doubting whether there should be great inequalities between incomes.
[ Between Court Doubting Every Face Fear Great Had Hated Incomes Inequalities Lord Other Owner Public Rich School Should University Whether While]
- This searching and doubting and vacillating where nothing is clear but the arrogance of quest. I, too, had such noble ideas when I was still a boy.
[ Arrogance Boy Clear Doubting Had Ideas Noble Nothing Quest Searching Still Such Too Where]
- As soon as by one's own propaganda even a glimpse of right on the other side is admitted, the cause for doubting one's own right is laid.
[ Admitted Cause Doubting Even Glimpse Laid Other Own Propaganda Right Side Soon]
- I am content with nothing, restless and ambitious... and I despise myself for the vanity, which formed half the stimulus to my exertions. Oh would that I were one of those plodding wise fools who having once set their hand to the plough go on nothing doubting.
[ Am Ambitious Content Despise Doubting Exertions Fools Formed Go Half Hand Having Myself Nothing Oh Once Plodding Plough Restless Set Stimulus Their Those Vanity Were Which Wise Would]
- I forbid you, agnostic, doubting thoughts, to destroy the house of my faith.
[ Agnostic Destroy Doubting Faith Forbid House Thoughts]
- In such a state, humility is the virtue of men, and their only defense; to walk humbly with God, never doubting, whatever befall, that His will is good, and that His law is right.
[ Befall Defense Doubting God Good His Humbly Humility Law Men Never Only Right State Such Their Virtue Walk Whatever Will]
- Doubt, the essential preliminary of all improvement and discovery, must accompany the stages of man's onward progress. The faculty of doubting and questioning, without which those of comparison and judgment would be useless, is itself a divine prerogative of the reason.
[ Accompany Comparison Discovery Divine Doubt Doubting Essential Faculty Improvement Itself Judgment Man Must Onward Preliminary Prerogative Progress Questioning Reason Stages Those Useless Which Without Would]
- Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
[ Before Dared Darkness Deep Doubting Dream Dreaming Dreams Ever Fearing Into Long Mortal Stood Wondering]
- Liberty is the possibility of doubting, the possibility of making a mistake, the possibility of searching and experimenting, the possibility of saying No to any authority - literary, artistic, philosophic, religious, social and even political.
[ Any Artistic Authority Doubting Even Experimenting Liberty Literary Making Mistake Philosophic Political Possibility Religious Saying Searching Social]
- To believe with certainty we must begin with doubting.
[ Begin Believe Certainty Doubting Must]
- A man desires praise that he may be reassured, that he may be quit of his doubting of himself; he is indifferent to applause when he is confident of success.
[ Applause Confident Desires Doubting Himself His Indifferent Man May Praise Quit Reassured Success]