- It will be readily admitted, that a degree conferred by an university, ought to be a pledge to the public that he who holds it possesses a certain quantity of knowledge.
[ Admitted Certain Conferred Degree Holds Knowledge Ought Pledge Possesses Public Quantity Readily University Will]
- He has conferred on the practice of vacillation the aura of statesmanship.
[ Aura Conferred Practice Statesmanship]
- The right of petition, I have said, was not conferred on the People by the Constitution, but was a pre-existing right, reserved by the People out of the grants of power made to Congress.
[ Conferred Congress Constitution Grants Made Out Petition Power Reserved Right Said]
- Liberty is not merely a privilege to be conferred; it is a habit to be acquired.
[ Acquired Conferred Habit Liberty Merely Privilege]
- I was no chief and never had been, but because I had been more deeply wronged than others, this honor was conferred upon me, and I resolved to prove worthy of the trust.
[ Because Been Chief Conferred Deeply Had Honor More Never Others Prove Resolved Than Trust Upon Worthy Wronged]
- No greater nor more affectionate honor can be conferred on an American than to have a public school named after him.
[ Affectionate After American Conferred Greater Him Honor More Named Nor Public School Than]
- I am not religious. I do not believe that personhood is conferred upon conception. But I also do not believe that a human embryo is the moral equivalent of a hangnail and deserves no more respect than an appendix.
[ Also Am Appendix Believe Conception Conferred Deserves Embryo Equivalent Human Moral More Religious Respect Than Upon]
- But some one will say that this supreme Being, who made all things, and those also who conferred on men particular benefits, are entitled to their respective worship.
[ Also Being Benefits Conferred Entitled Made Men Particular Respective Say Some Supreme Their Things Those Will Worship]
- The cross of the Legion of Honor has been conferred on me. However, few escape that distinction.
[ Been Conferred Cross Distinction Escape Few Honor However Legion]
- The United States cannot feed every person, lift every person out of poverty, cure every disease, or stop every conflict. But our power and status have conferred upon us a tremendous responsibility to humanity.
[ Cannot Conferred Conflict Cure Disease Every Feed Humanity Lift Our Out Person Poverty Power Responsibility States Status Stop Tremendous United Upon Us]
- Benefits should be conferred gradually; and in that way they will taste better.
[ Benefits Better Conferred Gradually Should Taste Way Will]
- On man when he came into life the Father conferred the seeds of all kinds and the germs of every way of life.
[ Came Conferred Every Father Germs Into Kinds Life Man Seeds Way]
- Nothing is more pleasing and engaging than the sense of having conferred benefits. Not even the gratification of receiving them.
[ Benefits Conferred Engaging Even Gratification Having More Nothing Pleasing Receiving Sense Than Them]
- If success attends my steps, honor and glory await my name-if defeat, still shall it be said we died like brave men, and conferred honor, even in death, on the American Name.
[ American Attends Await Brave Conferred Death Defeat Died Even Glory Honor Men Name Said Shall Steps Still Success]
- When a Benefit is wrongly conferred, the author of the Benefit may often be said to injure.
[ Author Benefit Conferred Injure May Often Said Wrongly]
- That old man dies prematurely whose memory records no benefits conferred. They only have lived long who have lived virtuously.
[ Benefits Conferred Dies Lived Long Man Memory Old Only Prematurely Records Whose]
- Besides, we had a large debt, contracted at home and abroad in our War of Independence; therefore the great power of taxation was conferred upon this Government.
[ Abroad Besides Conferred Contracted Debt Government Great Had Home Independence Large Our Power Taxation Therefore Upon War]
- Conflicting commercial regulations of the different States shackled and diminished both foreign and domestic trade; hence the power to regulate commerce was conferred.
[ Both Commerce Commercial Conferred Conflicting Different Diminished Domestic Foreign Hence Power Regulate Regulations Shackled States Trade]
- We had a large common domain, already added by the several States for the common benefit of all; purchase and war might make large additions to this common domain; hence the power over existing and future territories, with the stipulation to admit new States, was conferred.
[ Added Additions Admit Already Benefit Common Conferred Domain Existing Future Had Hence Large Make Might New Over Power Purchase Several States Territories War]