- Arbitrary power is like most other things which are very hard, very liable to be broken.
[ Arbitrary Broken Hard Liable Most Other Power Things Very Which]
- Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
[ Any Arbitrary Bud Ever Liberties Maxim Nip Only Power Preserve Shoots Which]
- Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men.
[ Arbitrary Emancipation Freedom Men Other Rule]
- The desire for liberty has also made itself felt as struggle against domestic tyranny or arbitrary rule.
[ Against Also Arbitrary Desire Domestic Felt Itself Liberty Made Rule Struggle Tyranny]
- Standards of beauty are arbitrary. Body shame exists only to the extent that our physiques don't match our own beliefs about how we should look.
[ Arbitrary Beauty Beliefs Body Exists Extent How Look Match Only Our Own Shame Should Standards]
- Science is not a game in which arbitrary rules are used to decide what explanations are to be permitted.
[ Arbitrary Decide Explanations Game Permitted Rules Science Used Which]
- Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary.
[ Arbitrary Just]
- The decree of a coercive tribunal would not need to conform to the true standard of wages, the final productivity of social labor. It would introduce into distribution a genuinely arbitrary element, with a very large ultimate power to pervert the natural system.
[ Arbitrary Coercive Conform Decree Distribution Element Final Genuinely Into Introduce Labor Large Natural Need Pervert Power Productivity Social Standard System Tribunal True Ultimate Very Wages Would]
- To me, length is an artificial and arbitrary factor in a film.
[ Arbitrary Artificial Factor Film Length]
- It took us a long time to find out that we had been lied to by our parents' generation. The moralities that were followed during our parents' generation were basically arbitrary. This caused a rift between the two generations, which was brought on by the beatniks.
[ Arbitrary Basically Been Between Brought Caused During Find Followed Generation Generations Had Lied Long Moralities Our Out Parents Rift Time Took Two Us Were Which]
- Usually I am on a work for a long stretch, until a moment arrives when the air of the arbitrary vanishes, and the paint falls into positions that feel destined.
[ Air Am Arbitrary Arrives Destined Falls Feel Into Long Moment Paint Positions Stretch Until Usually Vanishes Work]
- The whole history of science has been the gradual realization that events do not happen in an arbitrary manner, but that they reflect a certain underlying order, which may or may not be divinely inspired.
[ Arbitrary Been Certain Divinely Events Gradual Happen History Inspired Manner May Order Realization Reflect Science Underlying Which Whole]
- Jackson went from the professor's chair to the officer's saddle. He carried with him the very elements of character which made him odious as a teacher; but I never saw him in an arbitrary mood.
[ Arbitrary Carried Chair Character Elements Him Jackson Made Mood Never Odious Officer Professor Saddle Saw Teacher Very Went Which]
- Understand that legal and illegal are political, and often arbitrary, categorizations; use and abuse are medical, or clinical, distinctions.
[ Abuse Arbitrary Clinical Distinctions Illegal Legal Medical Often Political Understand Use]
- Not to be offensive, not to be capricious, not to be arbitrary, not to be neurotic, not to be an actor outer, you're just trying to get in and you're given so little time to get in gently, but it's always hard.
[ Actor Always Arbitrary Capricious Gently Get Given Hard Just Little Neurotic Offensive Outer Time Trying]
- The only obligation to which in advance we may hold a novel, without incurring the accusation of being arbitrary, is that it be interesting.
[ Accusation Advance Arbitrary Being Hold Incurring Interesting May Novel Obligation Only Which Without]
- Aside from that reservation, a fictive tale even has the advantage of manifesting symbolic necessity more purely to the extent that we may believe its conception arbitrary.
[ Advantage Arbitrary Aside Believe Conception Even Extent Fictive Manifesting May More Necessity Purely Reservation Symbolic Tale]
- I wanted to make a movie about the arbitrary nature of love.
[ Arbitrary Love Make Movie Nature Wanted]
- All media exist to invest our lives with artificial perceptions and arbitrary values.
[ Arbitrary Artificial Exist Invest Lives Media Our Perceptions Values]
- If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place.
[ Achieve Arbitrary Contrasting Culture Diverse Each Fabric Find Fitting Gamut Gift Human Less Must Place Potentialities Recognize Rich Richer Social Values Weave Which Whole Will]
- It is utterly false and cruelly arbitrary to put all the play and learning into childhood, all the work into middle age, and all the regrets into old age.
[ Age Arbitrary Childhood Cruelly False Into Learning Middle Old Play Put Regrets Utterly Work]
- If an educational act is to be efficacious, it will be only that one which tends to help toward the complete unfolding of life. To be thus helpful it is necessary rigorously to avoid the arrest of spontaneous movements and the imposition of arbitrary tasks.
[ Act Arbitrary Arrest Avoid Complete Educational Efficacious Help Helpful Imposition Life Movements Necessary Only Rigorously Spontaneous Tasks Tends Thus Toward Unfolding Which Will]
- While we have entertained the contention that a deed may make more propaganda than hundreds of speeches, thousands of articles, and tens of thousands of pamphlets, we have held that an arbitrary act of violence will not necessarily have such an effect.
[ Act Arbitrary Articles Contention Deed Effect Entertained Held Hundreds Make May More Necessarily Pamphlets Propaganda Speeches Such Tens Than Thousands Violence While Will]
- Art is subject to arbitrary fashion.
[ Arbitrary Art Fashion Subject]
- Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles.
[ Above Arbitrary Estate Often Patriotism Principles Real Veneration]
- They were saying computers deal with numbers. This was absolutely nonsense. Computers deal with arbitrary information of any kind.
[ Absolutely Any Arbitrary Computers Deal Information Kind Nonsense Numbers Saying Were]
- The possession of arbitrary power has always, the world over, tended irresistibly to destroy humane sensibility, magnanimity, and truth.
[ Always Arbitrary Destroy Humane Irresistibly Magnanimity Over Possession Power Sensibility Tended Truth World]
- I don't know who decided that skinny was more appealing than not skinny. It seems arbitrary.
[ Appealing Arbitrary Decided Know More Seems Skinny Than]
- What we don't need in country music is divisiveness, public criticism of each other, and some arbitrary judgement of what belongs and what doesn't.
[ Arbitrary Belongs Country Criticism Divisiveness Each Judgement Music Need Other Public Some]
- The bad man desires arbitrary power. What moves the evil man is the love of injustice.
[ Arbitrary Bad Desires Evil Injustice Love Man Moves Power]
- I believe there should be no arbitrary date set for withdrawal and yet no permanent, unending deployment. No cut and run, yet measured progress in helping a people who want to be free without an illusion of overnight success.
[ Arbitrary Believe Cut Date Deployment Free Helping Illusion Measured Overnight Permanent Progress Run Set Should Success Unending Want Withdrawal Without Yet]
- Gold and silver, like other commodities, have an intrinsic value, which is not arbitrary, but is dependent on their scarcity, the quantity of labour bestowed in procuring them, and the value of the capital employed in the mines which produce them.
[ Arbitrary Bestowed Capital Commodities Dependent Employed Gold Intrinsic Labour Mines Other Produce Quantity Scarcity Silver Their Them Value Which]
- Science fiction writers put characters into a world with arbitrary rules and work out what happens.
[ Arbitrary Characters Fiction Happens Into Out Put Rules Science Work World Writers]
- Those objecting to the concept of race argue that the taxonomic definitions are arbitrary and subjective.
[ Arbitrary Argue Concept Definitions Race Subjective Those]
- Because the Illinois death penalty system is arbitrary and capricious - and therefore immoral - I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.
[ Arbitrary Because Capricious Death Illinois Immoral Longer Machinery Penalty Shall System Therefore Tinker]
- Writing is a question of finding a certain rhythm. I compare it to the rhythms of jazz. Much of the time life is a sort of rhythmic progression of three characters. If one tells oneself that life is like that, one feels it less arbitrary.
[ Arbitrary Certain Characters Compare Feels Finding Jazz Less Life Much Oneself Progression Question Rhythm Rhythmic Rhythms Sort Tells Three Time Writing]
- Suffering by nature or chance never seems so painful as suffering inflicted on us by the arbitrary will of another.
[ Another Arbitrary Chance Inflicted Nature Never Painful Seems Suffering Us Will]
- Thus the creation, which seems an arbitrary act, supposes laws as invariable as those of the fatality of the Atheists. It would be absurd to say that the Creator might govern the world without those rules, since without them it could not subsist.
[ Absurd Act Arbitrary Atheists Could Creation Creator Fatality Govern Invariable Laws Might Rules Say Seems Since Subsist Supposes Them Those Thus Which Without World Would]
- It is true, indeed, that the national domain is ours. It is true it was acquired by the valor and with the wealth of the whole nation. But we hold, nevertheless, no arbitrary power over it.
[ Acquired Arbitrary Domain Hold Indeed Nation National Nevertheless Ours Over Power True Valor Wealth Whole]
- If vice and corruption prevail, liberty cannot subsist; but if virtue have the advantage, arbitrary power cannot be established.
[ Advantage Arbitrary Cannot Corruption Established Liberty Power Prevail Subsist Vice Virtue]
- But if it not be true, the myth itself requires to be explained, and every principle of philosophy and common sense demand that the explanation be sought, not in arbitrary allegorical categories, but in the actual facts of ritual or religious custom to which the myth attaches.
[ Actual Allegorical Arbitrary Attaches Categories Common Custom Demand Every Explained Explanation Facts Itself Myth Philosophy Principle Religious Requires Ritual Sense Sought True Which]
- Personally, I don't like the term 'success.' It's too arbitrary and too relative a thing. It's usually someone else's definition, not yours.
[ Arbitrary Definition Else Personally Relative Someone Success Term Thing Too Usually Yours]
- Designs of purely arbitrary nature cannot be expected to last long.
[ Arbitrary Cannot Designs Expected Last Long Nature Purely]
- One of the very basic ideas of Post-Modernism is rejection of arbitrary power structures. Different people are sensitive to different kinds of power structures.
[ Arbitrary Basic Different Ideas Kinds Post-Modernism Power Rejection Sensitive Structures Very]
- Any Congressional agreement of an arbitrary time table to bring our troops home before we have accomplished our mission is unacceptable and could potentially increase the risk to our soldiers.
[ Accomplished Agreement Any Arbitrary Before Bring Congressional Could Home Increase Mission Our Potentially Risk Soldiers Table Time Troops Unacceptable]
- The love of domination and an uncontrolled lust of arbitrary power have prevailed among all nations and perhaps in proportion to the degrees of civilization.
[ Among Arbitrary Civilization Degrees Domination Love Lust Nations Perhaps Power Prevailed Proportion Uncontrolled]
- Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.
[ Abused Arbitrary Easily Established Liberty Licentiousness Most Power Ruins]
- I didn't want to write a biographie romancee especially since I already write novels, nor did I want to challenge the rules of the biography game, arbitrary as those rules might be.
[ Already Arbitrary Biography Challenge Did Especially Game Might Nor Novels Rules Since Those Want Write]